A Dutch-engraved light baluster wine glass, dated 1764, Attributed to Jacob Sang
The rounded funnel bowl finely engraved with a three-master ship in full sail, gentle waves continuing around the base of the bowl, the rim inscribed:’ HET BEHOUDE VAAREN VAN ‘T SCHIP KATTENDYKE. 1764’.
The Kattendyke was built in Zeeland in 1750. She was 140ft long, 300 tons and carried a crew of 250
men. She set sail for Ceylon on 8 May 1764 on behalf of the V.O.C. chamber of Middelburg, under the
command of Captain Leendert Van Der Linden. She arrived back at Rammekens in June 1766. The
Kattendyke did not return from her fifth trip to the Indies and instead was broken up in Batavia in 1767
A very similar glass, signed by Jacob Sang is illustrated in Jo Marshall, Glass Source Book (1990), p.84,